From: [email-masked]

I attach a compressed tar archive.  In it you will find [with
luck!] (a) two large [for the times!] binaries, the Algol RTE and
compiler;  (b) two assembler source file, loaders for the compiler
and the RTE;  (c) a test program in Algol;  (d) copies of the articles
I've posted on this topic in the last two or three days.

        The assembler stuff is heavily commented, and you may need to
do some hacking or unhacking to get everything to work on your PDP-11s.
You then need to assemble "a68.s" and "ago.s" into "a68" and "ago" resp;
then "a68 lsquare.a68" will compile the test program into "a68.out" and
"ago" [or "ago a68.out"] will run it.  IIRC, you need to put the large
binaries in specified places, or else hack "a68.s" etc to match where
they actually are.

        The assembler and articles include some vague and ancient contact
points.  You could possibly get source from one of them;  personally, I
can't quite work up the energy to chase it.  As noted in the articles,
I don't know what the restrictions might be -- I have no recollection at
all of how this stuff arrived on our machine, but it was probably via
QMW [Queen Mary College, London] in some form or another.  I'd expect it
to be freely available for academic purposes, and certainly *we* have
signed no special agreements [unlike the ones for the Amsterdam Compiler
Kit and Malvern Algol 68 compilers, for which I had to sign in blood],
so I am happy to pass it on as a academic activity -- but I have no
reason at all to suppose that it is public domain [so you might need to
be slightly careful how you archive it].

See also http://vestein.arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de/~wb

Andy Walker, School of MathSci., Univ. of Nott'm, UK.
[email-masked]